Whoops! It's been almost a week since my last post. So much for me being on top of things. :-)
Anyway, life has been super crazy. Wednesday we spent in Utah hanging out with Jeanne and her family. They were wonderful to be around and we appreciated the relaxing moments before jumping into the adventure of Las Vegas. We even got to have a bbq picnic in Jeanne's backyard.
Thursday we got up and headed out on the road again. We had a six hour leg of the trip left in order to make it to LV. It was hot and we were trying not to push Samson too hard so we kept the heater on and windows open. The drive was fine but we were pretty wiped from the past couple of days so we mostly just listened to music.
We did get to stop in St. George and met up with Reed's brother Rex. He showed us his fire station and all the fun bells and whistles on the trucks. I felt like I was a five year old because I was getting all excited about the Jaws of Life and all that. haha After the station then we headed to lunch at Chick-Fil-A. Rebekah has told me so much about that restaurant and I've been dying to try it. Oh my goodness....it lived up to the hype! I devoured that sandwich in no time at all and then ate more than my share of fries. YUM!
Once we get back on the road again we realized that maybe we shouldn't have stopped in St. George because now we had only two hours to drive the 110 miles to Vegas so that we could get there in time to rent our storage unit. Oops! So we drove efficiently. haha Nearing Vegas we realized we'd hit traffic so I called the storage place and the guy was super nice and was just like "I'll stay open until you guys get here". How nice!
We did end up getting there at 4:59. Ha! Time to spare! ;-) We got all checked in and then the guy closed up shop and we unloaded our stuff. We took one look at the 4x8 locker and just about died. We had a 6x12 trailer almost full! Then we realized we that the ceilings were 10 feet tall and so Reed did his tetris magic and built up and up and up. It was blazing hot out and not at all fun to do that portion of the move but we managed to fit everything in and have room to spare. Thank goodness Reed is so good at puzzles!
At Sharlet's house we crashed in bed after eating a quick dinner.
Friday we got up and had a plan! We were going to take care of Samson's registration (which was expiring on Memorial Day) and get us some new Nevada licenses. I can't abide hideous ID pics so I got all prettied up. We got to the DMV and my jaw dropped to the floor. The place was PACKED with hundreds of people! We took our number and discovered there were 300+ people ahead of us!!!! That did not make us happy. So Reed went to go take care of his smog check and also bought us a Port of Subs lunch since we had forgotten to eat. And then we waited 3.5 hours. We get to the desk triumphantly and the lady tell us that we don't have enough forms of ID to do our licenses and that we cannot register our truck until the Nevada insurance becomes valid....tomorrow! I felt like barfing. All that waiting and nothing!
To cheer ourselves up we went and looked at my new workplace and then walked through a few apartments. The one we really wanted to see wasn't taking any new tours through until tomorrow so we went across the street and really liked the one we toured. There was another one that we just didn't like so much. It was tiny, dark, and expensive. We did meet some Mormons there which was a plus. They were super nice!
The next day, Saturday, we went back to the DMV. It was still insanely busy but this time we only had to wait for 1.5 hours. And we had brought entertainment. But really we just talked about apartments and all the things we need to take care of. It's a long list. *sigh* Moving is tough! Once we got our turn at the counter then the lady told us that everything was in order to register Samson. Hooray! So now Samson has shiny, new plates. In the parking lot Reed helped a really fun lady who was super friendly and talkative. My first Nevada friend! ;-)
Then we walked through the apartments that we really wanted to see and were surprisingly disappointed in them. So we drove around the one we liked and sat in the parking lot to think, talk, and scope out the residents. We continued to like the place and decided to rent it. So we talked with the leasing lady and she told us that there is an apartment opening up and ready for us on June 6. Yay! We submitted our application and she told us that we will be notified on Tuesday afternoon if our credit check clears. I felt a lot less stressed after we got that step done.
Sunday was an enjoyable and relaxing day spent hanging out with Sharlet and her family. We went to church and it was super weird to be going to the big kid classes. I've been in primary for so long that I've forgotten what it's like to hear big kid lessons and hear actual thought put into the answers that people supply. haha I even made a friend in Relief Society. She mentioned she is a nurse so I went up to her afterwards and we had a great time talking.
The nieces and I played a lot of foursquare, pet salon, and Barbies. They were also surprised to find out that I play the piano so we did a lot of singing....they even have a Frozen songbook so we did a lot of Frozen songs. Later on I was able to steal an hour for phone calls to Kandace and Mom. It was great to chat with them and hear all the goings on. :-)
Monday was Memorial Day and since government offices were closed, we took a break from our major to-do list. Instead I went to the nearest shopping center and purchased a few pairs of shorts and sandals. Long pants are killing me here! Today was 104 degrees. Then we spent the afternoon quietly reading books, watching Survivor and napping.
So now today is my first day of work. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment