Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I'm A Big Loser...The Biggest Loser

This weekend I ran my first ever half-marathon!  The Biggest Loser is a show I really enjoy watching and I support their cause...even though Jillian Michaels is way too masculine while Bob Harper is way too feminine.  Anyhoo, the show has a Run/Walk series that travels the country and gives average people the opportunity to do a half marathon in a non-competitive environment.

We went to Seattle the day before and had a great time hanging out with our cousins Andy and Adria.  Parking in Seattle was super stressful but we ended up walking to most places.  Andy took us to the Cupcake Royale shoppe where we ate delicious fluffy and flavorful cupcakes.  I carbo-loaded with spaghetti while the boys ate chicken tacos and we played Goldeneye on the Playstation.

I could hardly sleep that night but when the alarm finally went off I rolled over and asked Reed if we could just go home now.  He laughed as if I was joking...I wasn't.  haha  Reed and I got to Gas Works Park (the official starting/finish line) and froze our buns off until the race started at 8am.  We even got to meet Francelina who was one of our favorite contestants of last season.  She was super nice!

I started with the 10 minute/mile group and stayed with them for most of the race.  We got to run past Fremont neighborhood (home of the troll), over tons of bridges, along Lake Union and the fabulous waterfront there, and then we ran through the UW campus (next to Husky Stadium and the hospital).  It was such a pretty run and not too difficult.   I ran for most of the first 8.5 miles but then my knees started hurting (old basketball injury) so I decided it wasn't worth it to give myself an orthopedic problem.  I walked the last four miles and still made it in under my goal time....I made it in 2 hours and 26 minutes!!!!  I definitely almost cried when I saw the finish line.  I just couldn't wait for the race to be done so that I could go to the bathroom.  hahaha

Food and sweatpants never felt so good.  I am excited to register for my next race! 

2 comments: