Based off of my expansive research (which looks an awful lot like mindless browsing of Pinterest, Facebook, and news outlets) it appears that the new fashionable thing is NOT to set New Years Resolutions. At first I thought it was a good thing....I tend to get frustrated when I see myself or someone else set a really good goal and then within a matter of days or weeks self-control is lost and old habits are back.
However, as New Years approached I kept thinking about how much I actually DID want to set a goal. And I cast my mind round about and came up with a whopping long list of things I'd like to improve. Things like flossing my teeth every darn day, beating my half marathon time, cutting back on my limitless chocolate consumption, studying my scriptures every day, not wearing jammie pants all day long, etc.
Then the perfect goal came into my mind. What if I just focused on doing a little bit better every day? That would leave room for me to set my sights a little higher on whatever was in need of improvement at the moment. Sure, it's not a measurable goal but I found that the inner desire to be a bit better than yesterday was already helping. I played more piano, flossed my teeth, cleaned the dishes before we were out of clean ones, and started planning my primary lesson a full five days early. I did wear jammie pants all day long though. And I ate four servings of chocolate. And I watched too much TV again. But I felt better about my life because I just improved a few little things. So Meghan's Official New Years Resolution is this: Be a little better than yesterday.
Happy New Year! 2014 is bound to be even better than 2013.


I think that's a perfectly wonderful goal. Baby steps...the way to go! Love you!
ReplyDelete