Sunday, February 15, 2015

Weekly Update - Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Sunday!  It's been a good week and it just keeps getting better.  For instance, this morning the sun is rising and it's going to be a beautiful 77 degree day.  February in Vegas is tough!  ;-) 

Reed has been doing something 'fun' the past two weeks.  His insomnia is just not improving and he's tried numerous different methods to fight it over the years.  This time we're trying a program that is originally based out of the University of Virginia. For the first week he had to keep a sleep diary and now he's working through modules that are based on his sleep patterns.  He's going through the sleep restriction phase where you limit the hours spent in bed to only the hours when you are sleeping.  The first day was rough because he hadn't slept well and was exhausted but the subsequent nights have been much better resulting in approximately 5 straight hours of sleep.  We know it will not be an easy program but it's worth it for better sleep! 

Work has been busy for me.  We're still preparing for inspections and that looms over me every single day.  I really dislike waiting for the inspectors to come....I just want to get it over with!  Wednesday was a fairly challenging day as far as patients go.  We had some very anxious patients who needed some extra TLC which is hard to give when you have very limited time to prepare them in.  Fortunately, my IV's went well which is a huge blessing from Heavenly Father.  And for the first time ever, my Friday the 13th at work went well!  I can distinctly remember every Friday the 13th at CMC and they were memorable in the bad way.  But this time it was a great day! 

We booked our hotel for Disneyland!  We like to joke that our reason for moving to Vegas was so we could be closer to Disneyland.  Anyway, we chose a date that should be less busy but still good weather-wise.  I can't wait!  We're going to ride Space Mountain like ten times and I'll finally get to go on the Indiana Jones ride! 

Valentine's Day was an awesome event.  Reed and I choose not to celebrate in the conventional way (flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep...name that movie).  Rather, we commemorate our first date seeing as how our first date was on Valentine's Day.  So, we went to the store and bought pizza fixings (even though we had everything at home) then came home to make the pizza together.  After dinner, we watched Firefly episodes and chatted.  That is exactly what we did on our first date and it's what we'll do every Valentine's Day forever.  I do enjoy reminiscing about that first date and how I knew that my life was going to change.  Reed is a very special man and I can't imagine any day without his calm personality, funny jokes, and handsome smile!  I'm a lucky lucky girl!  

The rest of Valentine's Day was fun too.  We went on a walk around our favorite park and then decided to venture down the neighboring subdivision.  As we were going by one of the houses, someone called out to us and it was a member of our ward that we haven't gotten to know too well yet!  We stopped and chatted for a few minutes.  The youngest two kids came running out and used Reed as a jungle gym.  haha  After we left our friends' house we came across a real estate open house.  We've been contemplating buying a house so we decided to walk on in.  It was so much fun!  The house was beautiful.  And some sick part of me really enjoys going through other peoples' houses and opening closets.  haha  The open house got us even more interested in buying a home and so we had a great time chatting about what we want and all that good stuff.  We'll see what happens...we've still got a while left on our renal agreement.  :-) 

My co-worker Emily would appreciate this story.  At the grocery store I was wearing my Seahawks shirt (Go Hawks!) and some lady walked by and called out "Yeah!  Seahawks!" and I called back "We'll get 'em next year!" and another guy walked by and said "Go Hawks!".  I'm finding a very small, quiet population of Hawks fans here in Vegas! Everybody roots for different teams here and it's honestly super irritating to not have at least one unifying sports team! 

Another funny little story...I went to my weightlifting class and it was taught by a tall, middle-aged, German man who had a German accent.  He was hysterically funny!  He would say "Aiii" and "Yah" during the final repetitions as if it was so difficult (when you know it's easy for him) but the way he would say those things with his accent would crack me up so I would push through those last reps. Okay, you had to be there for it to be funny.  ;-)

Reed collects quotes and this morning he came across another really good one.  I think it's Jeffrey R. Holland that says "Remember: what you do, where you go, and what you see, will shape who you become".  A good reminder that those little things every day influence what we will become further down the road.  All choices are important! 

I better get to work on preparing songs for choir practice but I hope you all have a wonderful week!  We love you! 

<3 The Jacobsens

1 comment: